Grants and Scholarships
The Wellington Schools actively seek out grants, scholarships and awards to supplement funding provided through federal, state, and local support. Some of the awards making a difference in our schools include:
- This past year WEVSD received two School Quality Improvement grants totaling $900,000 to fund programs at the middle and high school. In addition, the district earned an Expanding Opportunities for Each Child grant in the amount of $275,000 to expand the AP College Board program.
- In 2018, WEVSD received two, 2-year 21st Century Community Learning Center grants totaling $2 million to support Boys and Girls Club after-school programming at Westwood and McCormick, and college & career programming that includes ACT & SAT prep and tutoring at Wellington High.
- A total of $9,463 was raised across the school district during the annual Wellington Kiwanis Peterson Nut Sale. Proceeds from the sale benefit a scholarship fund for high school seniors.
- The annual Duke Pride Carnival raises money to support our summer Well-help food vouchers program for families in need.
Did You Know?
WEVSD held its first-ever Kindergarten College Night in partnership with Kiwanis Club of Wellington for families to receive information on opening a College Advantage Account to begin saving for college. Through this program $50 was donated to each family in attendance to make their first deposit in the account. The Wellington Schools Endowment also provided a 25% matching gift.
The event was made possible thanks to the generous donations from our sponsors, including:
- The Kiwanis Club of Wellington
- Lorain County Community College
- Fifth Third Bank
- Wellington Schools Endowment
- Mercy Health
- Farmers Savings Bank
- LorMet Credit Union.